Monday, August 13, 2012

Newbies

In an earlier post, I wrote about groups and communities I had joined in order to promote my book, and of how I would have to do more than just throw a link up with a smiley face to "read my book"!  Now that I've finally finished setting up accounts on AuthorMarketingClub, Shelfari, LibraryThing and Goodreads, and created my author pages on Amazon and Facebook, it's time to double back and start contributing.  Because what I've realized, and what every book promoter emphasizes, is that you have to give something back.  Whether it's just to comment on a post, or to participate in tag exchanges, it can't just be all about you.

Anyone who believes otherwise should look at how "self promoters" are either ignored, or attacked on forums.  As a writer with a book to promote, I understand how single minded you can get.  You read about how writers like Colleen Hoover and John Locke marketed themselves and their books to the top of the book seller lists, and it's easy to follow their steps as if it were a checklist:  Twitter, Facebook, Community Boards.  Twitter, Facebook, Community Boards.  Repeat until successful. 

The only problem is, the people receiving those tweets have to actually know and like you.  Even if it's in the most superficial, online sort of way.  Which is why participating, contributing, giving is important.  Otherwise, those are strangers on the other end of that keyboard, and they'll be the first to tell you that they did NOT log in today just to be of service to you by reading your book.  Despite your fifty posts imploring them to do so.   Worse, you've probably just lost some readers.   

Not that I'm an expert, but I think the best thing for a new writer to do is tread lightly.  To that end, I'm participating in Tag Exchanges where I list my book (like this one from Author Marketing Club).  As it's name makes clear, the purpose of the site is for author's to market their books so no one gets annoyed by people, umm, self promoting.   I'm also helping my book become more visible to readers who may be searching for books in my category.  Another bonus?  I'm getting to "know" other indie writers like me.

No comments:

Post a Comment