Thursday, August 9, 2012

Changes


I've changed several things since I last posted.
The first is I made my book available through CreateSpace.  I approved the proofs, and now I'm waiting for the book to show up on Amazon.  It's supposed to take 5-10 business days.  I'm on Day 4, and nothing yet.

I also sent a request to Kindle that previous buyers of my book be able to update their copy with a newer version.  I thought about this a lot.  On the one hand, it should be obvious: of course I would want everyone to have the newest version possible.  On the other hand, am I just highlighting my indie author status by doing this???  As in, hey, look at me, I couldn't get the book right the first time???
I was leaning towards NO notifications, but then I realized that with 7500 downloads out there, there are a lot of people who probably haven't read the book yet.  How would I feel if some of those people gave the book bad reviews because of typos, knowing that this time, I had a chance to correct it? 

So, I sent an email to Kindle Support.  Still waiting for that, too.
In the meantime, I'm realizing that I'm incapable of multi-tasking, at least when it comes to writing.  When there's a problem with my kids; even if they're just home with the flu---I find it hard to concentrate on anything else.  Well!  It feels like "Fame, Love and other Lessons" is one child that's sick, and I'm having a hard time trying to do anything else when all my focus is on trying to make sure this book gets "better". 

Which is a long way of saying I have done nothing with my next project.

No excuses on my part, but how does anyone else do it?  I'm trying to get a paperback version available, waiting to hear about updates, tracking sales, and trying to participate in the community.  I'm starting to feel overwhelmed…
Oh, and the other thing I've changed:  I moved the book from Fiction/Drama to Fiction/Contemporary Romance.  I know this runs counter to what I said earlier, but after looking at the books on the Drama best seller list last week, I just couldn't keep the book there anymore.  It seemed so out of place.  The biggest thing, though, is that this book has explicit sexual content.  Nothing on the level of erotica, but I thought that if I put it in Romance, there would be no suprises.  I mean, the book is not on the YA list, and I've been very careful to avoid any kind of YA designation for precisely that reason, but one reviewer said they wouldn't recommend it to anyone under 16.  Which leads me to believe that I hadn't been clear enough.

I continue to wait…

No comments:

Post a Comment